Friday, June 20, 2008

El Numero Uno

Well this is something new. I figure I'm opinionated and reasonably funny so why not give this a try. Amanda (my girlfriend) is amazed at the amount of notebooks I have half filled with random thoughts, rants and stories of debauchery. I know at the very least most of them will entertain my friends and I so I figured why not see how other people react to them. I'm not sure how well I'll keep on this, like most things I'll probably start off gung-ho then taper off slowly as the novelty wears off. Speak of Gung-ho, i just watched that movie for the first time in prob 10-15 years and it's very underrated. It's def in my top 5 Michael Keaton movies of all time possibly top 3. Lets work this out now. 1 Batman, that's a no brainer. 2 Beetlejuice another easy one. 3 Mr Mom, a classic by any standard. Ok so maybe its not top 3 however i should not really count Batman on this list. Batman was a blockbuster and should probably first be classified as a Tim Burton movie and secondly as Michael Keaton. When i think of Michael Keaton i think of an average joe making his way in life. An everyman that plays on his companies softball team, everyone likes and is really funny. I've convinced myself, Batman is off this list because even though an amazing movie and all of my all time favorites its much different then the movies its being compared with. However if instead of Keaton it were Jean Claude Van Dam who played Batman would I still like it as much? Prob not but this query could go much deeper then what i want to accomplish in this posting so I'll save it for another day. Hopefully if I put enough thought into it and do some research i can do an entire post on this Tim Burton, Michael Keaton alternate Batman subject but for now I'll reiterate Batman is off the official Michael Keaton top 5 list. So as of now 1. Beetlejuice (I know that it is another Tim Burton movie but it didn't have a built in audience predisposed to liking the subject matter like Batman, so it stays). 2. Mr Mom, again just a classic. Now this is where it gets tough, 3. Johnny Dangerously, when i was a kid i found its stupid gag jokes hilarious, i watched this movie about 6 months ago and still found them hilarious, so it withstood the test of time. 4. Gung Ho, he basically plays the same character he did in Mr Mom but it's so likable. He's a regular guy that everyone knows in their own lives. Gung Ho and Mr Mom could prob be sequels of one another cuz it really is the same exact character. Case and point, in the beginning of Gung Ho when Michael Keaton is speaking in front of all of the union guys that are out of a job and he's trying to convince them to go back to work but for less pay he gives a speech comparing their current situation to a high school basketball championship he played in where his defense in the 4th quarter won his team the game. In the beginning of Mr Mom, where he starts off and ends employed with another auto factory, he tries to lift the moral of the workers in the face of impending layoffs by comparing their current situation to Rocky Balboa and the guys hes trying to relate this too miss the meaning and they start asking him which Rocky it was 1,2 or 3. He's trying to tell them that even though the odds are against them they shouldn't let that beat them and they should keep fighting. They are wondering if Mr T was in the movie he watched. So you can see how similar the characters are. 5. One Good Cop, awesome movie. Another guy just trying to do the right thing, loyal to his friends and almost becomes a modern day Robin Hood. Ive said this before Michael Keaton is, if not the greatest actor of all time, he's not far. Look at the gamut of his roles from legendary, brooding crime fighter Batman a man dying of cancer in My Life. Every role he plays he is likable and you always want him to "win" and its definitely always believable. Just missing out on the top 5 Multiplicity, My Life and Pacific Heights.

Haha my supervisor just walked over to talk to me about something and blatantly caught me listening to ESPN radio and typing this "Blog" i bet she still doesn't give me any work to do.

No comments: